Tapas views hundreds of comics every week, and the more often we see your comic, the better. Tapas is more likely to feature you if:
- Your series is mobile-friendly. Vertical-scroll comics can easily be read on both the website and mobile devices. Page-format and traditionally-styled comics with teeny tiny font can be difficult to read on the web and a struggle to read on mobile. A mobile-friendly series is more likely to make a Daily Snack feature than not.
- You update consistently and frequently. This is the best step to make sure we see your series. Every time you update, you’ll appear in the Fresh section, and possibly in the Trending and Popular sections. These sections are where we look for potential Web Spotlights, Featured Collection candidates, and Daily Snack features.
- Your series consists of more than a cover image/coming soon image/single page. When a reader enters your series, they should be able to start reading the story. This is especially important if you want to get into New & Noteworthy Comics when you first upload a series. If we’re looking at a recently uploaded series and we hit a “Coming Soon!” image or a chapter cover with no actual story involved, it will not be included in the collection, and it will be all the more difficult to get featured later on due to the lack of visibility.
- Your episodes can be read within ~5 minutes or less, while still telling a decent amount of story. Tapas promotes bite-sized reading. That’s our shtick. Readers need to be able to engage and understand the story you’re trying to tell within the first episode, and they should be able to do it while waiting in line at the grocery store. Keep it short and sweet, but do your best to get fans hooked
- Your series starts strong. It’s no secret that good art and a good story will get you featured. You may not be the best artist now, but you’ll improve. And when you do improve, your series should show it, even if it means going back to revamp old episodes. When a reader starts your series, they’re probably not going to check how much you’ve improved—they’re going to read it from the beginning and subscribe off of that.
Though Tapas allows flexibility in what and how users upload, there is naturally a preference in format. Even if you don’t follow these five guidelines, you may receive a feature. But follow all five, and you’ll be an attractive candidate for multiple features for the rest of your comics career!